9、 An Important Meeting重要会议
A：Hello, Jim. How are you doing?
B：Fine! And yourself?
A：Can’t complain. Did you have time to look at my proposal? I think it’s going to be helpful.
B：No, not really. Can we go over it now? I have some time.
A：Sure. I’ve been trying to come up with some new production and advertising strategies. First of all, if we want to stay competitive, we need to modernize our factory. New equipment is long overdue. We’re behind the times.
B：How much will that cost? We have to think about our budget you know.
A：We have several options ranging from one hundred thousand dollars all the way up to half a million.
B：OK. We’ll have to discuss these costs with finance.
A：We should also consider human resources. I’ve been talking to personnel as well as our staff at the factories. We need some new people. 我们同时还要考虑人力资源问题。我已经跟人事部与工厂职员谈过了。我们需要些新人。
B：What’s the picture? 情况怎么样？
A：We’ll probably have to hire three or four engineers to help us modernize the factory.
B：What about advertising?
A：Marketing has some interesting ideas for television commercials. They really seem powerful.
B：TV—isn’t that a bit too expensive for us? What’s wrong with advertising in the papers, as usual?
A：Quite frankly, it’s just not enough anymore. We need to be more aggressive in order to keep ahead of our competitors. This is 21st century.
B：Will we be able to afford all this? I’m not so sure.
A：Well, I’ll look into it, but I think higher costs will be justified. These investments will result in higher profits for our company.
B：We’ll have to look at these figures more closely. Have finance draw up a budget for these investments.
A：Will do. Thanks for your time.
* You need the right equipment for the job.
* This airplane is fitted with the most modern equipment available.
* Our equipment is old; we need to modernize.
* We plan to completely modernize our company before China enters the WTO.
* In order to stay competitive with other companies, we must modernize our production.
* The import and export business is very competitive.
* We have enough money for television advertisement in our budget.
* We have to budget our time carefully because we only have a few days.
★ Can’t complain. 挺好的，没什么可抱怨的。
★ We’re behind the times. 我们落伍/过时了。
★ What’s the picture? 情况怎么样？
★ I’m not so sure. 我不是很有把握。
★ I’ll look into it. 我来调查一下。
★ Will do. 行。
★ Thanks for your time. 谢谢你抽出时间来。