Special humor and good football, morning porridge and royalty buzz – may any facts about England surprise you? Well, just give me a try…
1. The Church of England considers the Pokemon character Mewtwo to be a good Christian role model.
The Nintendo character of Mewtwo first appeared in the video games Pokemon Red and Blue and its sequels. Some people consider him to be a cliche villain, others believe it to be a deep and very interesting character.
2. There's a pair of twins from England that, after being separated at birth, ended up marrying each other.
However when getting married they didn't realize their relative connection.
3.In England, a failed suicide attempt used to be illegal and was punishable by death.
People who attempted suicide were punished by hanging in Great Britain until 1961.
4. The price of entry to a zoo in 18th century England was a cat or a dog: they were fed to the lions.
In fact visitors had a choice, instead of sacrificing an animal they could pay a half-pence.
5. Back to football. The England national amateur football team once beat France 15-0.
It was the first international match that took place on 1 November 1906 in Paris.
6. America spells grey as grAy and England spells gray as grEy.
It's easy to keep in mind: simply associate "A" with America, "E" with England.
7.French was the official language of England for about 300 years, from 1066 till 1362.
The influence of French in England started with the Norman Conquest of 1066 by William the Conqueror.
8.In 1811, 1/4 woman in England were named Mary.
Can you imagine that the quarter of all British women had the same name then? Perhaps it was rather confusing in everyday life.