1."If you want to know how much you'll be missed when you are gone, put your finger in a bucket of water and then remove it. The hole that's left will be how much you are missed."
No one is irreplaceable. You may not leave a hole, but you can leave a mark on a person, a team, or a culture that lives on after you're gone.
2. "We all have limits. Almost no one reaches theirs. You definitely haven't."
You could swim faster if a shark was on your tail. You could work harder if the payoff was truly exceptional.
3. "Unless you're the lead dog in the sled, the view never changes."
Following the crowd means living the same life as the crowd. You don't want that.
4. "The coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave but one." (Original to Ernest Hemingway.)
Think about easing into a cold ocean; every inch is excruciating. Dive in. It's never as cold, or as bad, as you think.
5. "Resentment is like drinking poison and expecting the other guy to die."
The same holds for bitterness. And jealousy. And dislike. Let it go. If you don't, the only loser is you.
6. "It's just a flesh wound."
The Black Knight never gives up. Neither should we.