课堂英语

听力入门英语演讲VOA慢速英语美文听力教程英语新闻名校课程听力节目影视听力英语视频

CNN英语新闻:美国最高法院审理同性婚姻案(双语)

Cherie207 于2013-04-01发布 l 已有人浏览
增大字体 减小字体
今天我们将从美国最高法院开始,如果你收看了我们周二的节目你就应该了解最高法院的九位大法官正在审理本周关于同性婚姻的问题的两个案子。
    小E英语欢迎您,请点击播放按钮开始播放……

同性婚姻.jpg

Hi, welcome to your Thursday edition of CNN's STUDENT NEWS.
嗨,欢迎收看周四版的CNN学生新闻。

I'm Carl Azuz.
我是卡尔·阿祖兹。

Today we're going to start at the U.S. Supreme Court, and if you watched our show on Tuesday you know the court's nine justices are hearing two cases this week about the issue of same-sex marriage.
今天我们将从美国最高法院开始,如果你收看了我们周二的节目你就应该了解最高法院的九位大法官正在审理本周关于同性婚姻的问题的两个案子。

Yesterday, the focus was on a federal law.
昨天,焦点关注的是联邦法律。

It's called the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA.
这被称为婚姻保护法案,即DOMA。

It was passed in 1996 and what it says is that for federal purposes, so we're talking about U.S. government purposes, marriage is defined as only between one man and one woman.
于1996年通过的这项法案规定其为联邦义务,所以我们谈论的是美国政府的目的,婚姻被定义为只有一个男人和一个女人之间的事情。

That legal definition can impact things like taxes and benefits.
这项法案的定义会影响诸如税收和福利等。

For example, same-sex couples who get married in states where that's legal, don't get access to the same federal benefits as other couples.
例如,各州同性夫妇结婚规定为不合法,不能像其他夫妇一样享有相同的联邦福利。

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court heard arguments about a law in California that bans same-sex marriage.
星期二,最高法院听取关于加州法律禁止同性婚姻的争论。

So this week we focused on two cases—same general topic, but different legal focus.
所以这个星期我们关注大致相同主题但聚焦不同的法律观点的的两个案子。

The court's rulings aren't expected for a few months, but we wanted to give you an idea of what it was like inside the Supreme Court.
法院的裁决预期在几个月内不会有结果,但我们想让你知道这就像在最高法院。

What you're about to hear is from Tuesday's hearings on the law in California.
你将要听到的是周二的在加州的法律听证。

Outside of the marriage context , can you think of any other rational basis, reason, for a state using sexual orientation as a factor in denying homosexuals benefits?
婚姻之外的背景下,你还能想到对于一个国家使用的性取向因素作为否认同性恋福利任何其他理性的基础,原因吗?

Your honor, I cannot. I do not have any—anything to offer you.
尊敬的先生,我不能。我不能提供任何—任何给你。

I'm curious —when did it become unconstitutional to exclude homosexual couples from marriage?
我很好奇,它什么时候变成违宪将同性恋夫妇从婚姻中排除出去的?

The label marriage means something. Even our opponents.
婚姻意味着某种标签。甚至我们的对手也是如此。

Sir, if you tell a child that somebody has to be their friend, I supposed you can force that child to say this is my friend,
先生,如果你告诉孩子,有人成为他们的朋友,我认为你可以强迫那孩子说这是我的朋友,

but it changes the definition of what it means to be a friend.
但是这种行为改变了什么是朋友的定义。

And that's, it seems to me, what supporters of Proposition 8 are saying here.
并且,在我看来,8号议案的支持者们就是在讨论这点。

All you're interested in is the label and you insist on changing the definition of the label.
所有你感兴趣的是标签,你坚持改变标签的定义。

Traditional marriage has been around for thousands of years.
传统婚姻已经存在了数千年。

Same-sex marriage is very new.
同性婚姻是种非常新的概念。

I think it was first adopted in the Netherlands in 2000.
我认为这是首次采用2000年在荷兰实行的新法案。

So there isn't a lot of data about the effect.
所以并没有很多的数据可以影响。

If you're over the age of 55, you don't help us serve the government's interest in regulating procreation through marriage.
如果你超过55岁,通过婚姻你没有帮助我们在管理生殖这项问题上会服务于政府的利益。

So, what is that different?
所以,那有什么不同的吗?

Your honor, even with respect to couples over the age of 55, it is very rare that both parties to the couple are infertile.
尊敬的先生,甚至对于年龄超过55岁的夫妻来说双方夫妇不能生育也是非常罕见的。

I can assure you, if both the woman and the man are over the age of 55, there are not a lot of children coming out of that marriage.
我可以向你保证,如果女人和男人年龄超过55岁,他们的婚姻中是不会再次孕育出很多爱的结晶了。


词汇解释:
1.supreme a.最高的;至上的
having the highest rank, level, or importance

eg.The general was girded with the supreme power.
将军被授予最高权力。

2.federal a.联邦制的;联邦政府的
relating to the central government, and not to the government of a region, of some countries such as the US

eg.Switzerland is a federal republic.
瑞士是联邦制的共和国。

3.context n.上下文;环境;背景
the situation within which something exists or happens, and that can help explain it

eg.It is usually easier to pick out the meaning of a phrase in a given context.
在特定的上下文中理解一个短语的含意往往要更容易些。

4.rational a.合理的;理性的;能推理的
showing clear thought or reason

eg.Man is a rational being.
人是有理性的生物。

5.curious a.好奇的;奇特的
interested in learning about people or things around you

eg.I am curious how she will receive the news.
我很想知道她如何接受那消息。

 1 2 下一页

分享到

添加到收藏

英语新闻排行